Monday, December 29, 2014

December 29, 2014

I think Christmas will always be my favorite holiday! There are too many great things that happen around it for that to change.

This Christmas was special. There was a Christmas devotional in the church to which we had some investigators who came. I was asked two days beforehand to do the musical number in the middle and I feel like I successfully played a nice sounding piece of music on the piano. Phew. Afterwards we were invited by members to celebrate with them. Members are simply too kind to us. It was a nice evening of speaking of Christ and listening to/playing music. 
Christmas day gave us the opportunity to meet with one of the larger families in the ward, where they served a great feast. We played games with them and were then sent off with very missionary-practical bags of food (a.k.a. it was not full of chocolate and cookies). Very thoughtful of this family. 
That evening we were driven (because the public transportation workers needed a day off too) to another member's home where I got to skype with my incredible family!! I loved that. I am reminded of how blessed I am that everything at home is going well. I even got to see my new little niece! She is simply precious! I am excited to get to know her better someday. 
The next day we were invited to one more member's home, whom we love to visit! This is a very classy, loving, and sharp older couple who appreciate the small things in life and are blessed for their service in the church. Yet again, another delicious meal and a wonderful time thinking on our Savior. 
That evening was great because we were picked up by our friend with a baptismal date (but not anymore) and her neighbor (because we needed a man there, too). She had suggested that we meet her neighbor previously and we were very excited to get the chance finally. We were driven to her house where we exchanged gifts (I got another journal to write in! I love it.), then we watched part of the Angela Lansbury Mormon Tabernacle Choir concert (we had it laying around), after which she left us in her neighbor's apartment while she cooked something. Awesome. We got to know him better, got to see the disco lights he has set up in the apartment, from which there was some really impressive equipment that a theatre wouldn't mind using, and then made our way to her apartment. There (where there were fewer distractions and Mormon Tabernacle Choir in the background) we were led to a discussion about the Restoration of Jesus Christ's church. Then a really yummy dinner.  --OOh! I just got a text saying we got a referral from church headquarters. Sweet!!-- During dinner we were able to talk more and bear testimony. Super cool! On the way home we invited him to learn more and he declined, but our friend talked to him about it on the way back and found out it was because he did not want to waste our time by making us travel so far to meet with him. Bahhh! That's no concern at all! 

After all, Saturday was her baptism. We traveled for her, we will travel for him! 

The baptism went beautifully and the musical number that I played there went nicely as well. It was cool to see that she had friends and her mother come to see it. It was a very spiritual service. We went to the hospital to visit her friend afterwards and discovered that it was SNOWING!! WHOHOOOO! No snow stuck last year, but actual snowballs could be made of what we got on that day! The visit in the hospital was nice and we were able to make it home in time to rest for the next day. 
Sunday was the confirmation, which I was asked to speak. This was the first time! I bear testimony that Heavenly Father knows our incompetence and does not allow it to get in the way of His work. It was so clear to me what needed to be said in the moment and once it was all said. The Holy Ghost gives real promptings through thoughts and feelings. I did not remember so much what was said afterward, but she did. That's more important anyway. 

I was exhausted after this week. So much! But I'm ready for a new one! Happy to see progress with a dear friend of mine and to see her experiencing the joy The Spirit puts into one's heart.


I lost a game my companion and I started playing this morning (he beat me to the alarm clock so I had to put 2 euros in a jar). It's worth it when it gets us both our of bed!

It snowed more last night. I am really happy. 

Guten Rusch ins Neues Jahr!! (Happy "slide" into the new year!!)


Love, 
Elder Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment