Monday, April 27, 2015

April 27, 2015

Beautiful things are happening every day all over the world! One of my favorite experiences of the week was the following:

We met with a fairly new member of the church who is around 14 years old. He brought one of his friends from school to meet with us as we discussed the ten commandments. This other friend, about 12 years old, moved recently from Miami to Germany so it was a culture we understood and knew. Throughout the teaching, this 12-year-old friend of ours was filled with many questions and curious thoughts. After closing the lesson with a prayer he asked us the simple question: "How do you know if God is real?" This led to another quick discussion on the topic of prayer and receiving answers to prayer. As my companion spoke with the 14-year-old to the side, our questioning friend and I got to discuss a little more about communication with God. He asked further if God would answer a prayer right now if he were to pray. I said He could. He wanted to pray correctly and asked for the structure. I explained it and gave a short example, after which he said a beautiful simple prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, Are you really there? I pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen." A short moment of silence as we both sat there, him with big eyes. I asked what he was thinking to which he replied, "Cool." He further described that his chest felt warm and as if there were a hole in it. 

Another humble and excited child of God now knows that Heavenly Father is real. That, my friends, is success.


More incredible things happened in the week, one being a visit from Elder David A. Bednar of the quorum of the twelve apostles. He spoke to our whole mission in a private conference (we are so spoiled!). I have the feeling that one thing he wants to do is change foolish traditions carried down in Mormon Culture. One of these is the game, "Guess what's in my head," where the teacher has a correct answer in mind when asking a question. Eliminating such a game created a culture of Oneness in the mission conference where all were able to participate and not feel judged. Topics which I now understand at a deeper level from this conference: Covenants, Commandments, Repentance, Agency, and Teaching. Just one of the things I found fascinating and very applicable was the thought that we will receive joyful personal private commandments as a result of our obedience. Obedience brings blessings, commandments are blessings (not restrictions), which is seen as our agency is altered and englarged as we keep them. We thus become less representative of ourselves and more representative of Christ.

We are being introduced step by step into using technologies correctly on the mission. There is a Safeguards booklet that we are given with simple, but brilliant principles that will be applied on the mission and continue to be applied for the rest of my life. It will give the Elders and Sisters who learn from it the advantage in this world and in the world to come. I am so excited for this new opportunity to learn and grow as we apply these practices!

Jesus Christ pleads with us from 3 Nephi 27-30 to apply his doctrine by having faith, repenting, being baptized, and receiving the Holy Ghost as a companion to endure to the very end. Let us understand the doctrine of why He wants this for us. I know it is correct. I see a happy change in many lives as this doctrine is internalized and put into practice.

Oh, and we made some really good smoothies yesterday. Greenies. Lime, Apple, Cucumber. We wanted to use mint, but could not find any. It was surprisingly good! 

Make miracles this week!

Liebe Grüße, 

Elder Jack


No comments:

Post a Comment