Monday, June 23, 2014

June 23, 2014

Meine liebe Freunde und Familie,

Heyo from Aachen! Guess who left Germany this week to visit someone in Vaaals,  Netherlands? This Elder. And it is not against mission policy! Sometime I'll get to go to Eupen, Belgium as well, probably. Three countries in one area? Not too shabby, Aachen. 

Oh, and did you know that German drivers are really really good? But they honk their horns all the time. Ü Yay big cities!

It was also sort of hard to fall asleep because the sun decided this time of year to stick around a lot longer than during... winter, for example. By 10:30 you'd think the sky would be dark. ... But nah. 

It is also a pretty large city with quite a buzz to it. I really enjoy the life of the city here and the opportunity it brings me to talk to a lot of people about this gospel. So many need it! It's great to be called to do it.
In the ward here (branch, actually), there are really great members. Tons of them speak English, but they thankfully speak German during the meetings and stuff. 

That's good. The Branch President is actually from Sandy, Utah. Went to Alta high school and everything... cool stuff! There are definitely people with challenges in the branch, like in every group of people, but it is so inspiring to see those who have these challenges making the effort to turn to the Lord for their problems. And it is beautiful to see that they receive the help they need. The Atonement's power is so real in the lives of people who are willing to take it upon them. And it can only help, so I don't know why someone wouldn't try it. 

I was re-reading notes from General Conference and I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the talk from Elder Holland about how it is not supposed to be easy to be a disciple of Jesus Christ, that his words are sharper than a two-edged sword because it isn't always what people want to hear. But they are nonetheless truth and full of love. I love it! I also loved the thoughts from Ridd about the choice generation having everything we desire at the click of a button. We are given so man things to help us. Let's give a little back to help others. I loved it. 

I am getting along really well with my awesome companion Elder Brande, from AZ. He's a little newer on the mission, so we are having fun getting to learn new words and find out new things about Aachen that neither of us knew before (although I have been here on splits before).

Truth is simple. Anyone can find it who is willing to try!

Go Deutschland in the WOrld Cup!! And... America! Whoo! Thursday will definitely be interesting: Ü This is one of the only times you see a lot of national pride in Germans -- World Cup! Fun stuff here!

Loving greetings, 

Elder Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment